The Prank Letters of S. William Kost

Over the last ten years, I have written dozens of joke letters, sometimes under pseudonyms, to companies large and small in America and around the world. Many of these companies have written back.

S. WILLIAM KOST

Monday, March 06, 2006

Camino Real Foods, 9/20/96


S. William Kost
P.O. Box 598
Clackamas, OR 97015

September 20, 1996

Camino Real Foods
Gardena, CA 90249

Dear Food Producers,

Today I went to the BP Gas Staion and food mart on 20th & Burnside, and I got a big Coke and two Tina's burritos, which I heated upin their microwave. On the way home, after the burritos had cooled down a bit, I started to eat one. It was really good! I pretty much scarfed it down quickly. I was eating the second one at home and decided to look at the wrapper. Sometimes I do this just to see what makes a food taste the way it does, either good or bad. Anyways, I started readoing the nu trition info and the ingredients list, and saw the part that says FILLING:. The first two ingredtints were, Water, Beef,... and I started to think, Well, what part of the beef is it? I can usally taste the difference between the ground beef part and, say, the round steak parts of the cow. But I thought this burrito contained something I really couldn't put my finger on. It tasted somthing like lips or possibly tail of the cow, perhaps thearea around the hooves, I wasn't sure.

So I thought I'd write to you to get the true scoop on where the Beef comes from. Your burritos are much grande, but if I'm eating cow ears, then I'm going to get a hot dog or something.

Please write Back Soon,

S. William Kost

P.S. Do you sell or give away promotional Tina's Burrito T-shirts? Let me know; I wear an XL. Thanks


Dear Mr. Kost:

We appreciate your effort in informing us about your recent experience with our Tina's Burritos.

Your comments regarding the beef in our product are appreciated. We use only the finest ingredients and all of our suppliers are carefully selected. The highest quality of beef trimmings are used, which we feel yeilds [sic] the tastiest and most consistent product. Your comments have been passed on to our Manager of Quality Control for his attention.

We hope that you will accept the two coupons enclosed with this letter, and will give us another try. These coupons may be redeemed at your local grocer.

We again thank you for your comments and appreciate your effort.

Sincerely,
Debbi Collins
Consumer Relations - CRF

Encl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Hooray for your prank letters. I remember reading the ones you had in your book a few years ago and dying laughing. I love how seriously they respond to the letters.

3/06/2006 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home